Thursday, October 13, 2011

Style inspiration: Yuko Shimazu

I've seen a lot of Yuko Shimazu's work in the Society of Illustrators and also American Illustration. She has received many awards, and seems to be everywhere (though I don't remember seeing her work in daily life). Her art is dynamic and thought-provoking, detailed and has a lot of visual depth and rhythm. It's hard to know where to start, because her art seems to be so well known, but I've picked out a few that I think exemplify her art's characteristics. I also like that they have female 'protagonists,' because they are awesome.

Personal artwork, featuring Panda Girl, the first Asian-American superhero.

Ad for "NPR and me."

Ad for Target.

She is also known for some more sexually explicit work, which you can check out on your own, if you wish.

1 comment:

  1. I love her work, too. And "rhythm" is definitely in the description.

    ReplyDelete