Sunday, October 9, 2011

Reflection of the art process


The process outlined in the project assignments usually goes research, choose client, incubation, concept, proof, final. My own process generally goes the same way with a few exceptions. To me, the client is generally more important than the inspiration. I think this is closer to the real world because generally one gets a job from a client rather than getting an inspirational idea first and then finding a client. To me, the client is the framework for the whole project, and I probably spend more time investigating the subject or client for inspiration more than other artists.

               When I investigate other artists, it is generally for an inspiration in style. I don’t spend as much time researching artists because I know what I like when I see it, and once I see something I like, I stick with it. At this point I don’t really care how complicated the style is or how I will do it.

               At the sketching point, depending on the project, I may have one or two ideas or several ideas. I generally don’t make that many sketches because I usually find a good idea that might develop further. At this point I am already looking at reference images. Rather than have an idea in mind and then find reference photos to fulfill that vision, I usually have a combination of being inspired by my own thoughts and images I see. Each is a spring board for the next idea or image search. I don’t think I ever have to make 10 sketches, because like I said, my first or third idea is usually my favorite.

At the concept stage, I begin working at the computer by scanning in my best sketch or hand-tracing reference images or sketches (using a tablet). I generally don’t stray from my intentions or inspiration, except when playing with font or copy placement after the illustration is done.

For my final drafts, I take feedback very seriously. I generally try all suggestions and keep them unless there is something, in my opinion, which does not work as well. But, I try not to leave any “stone unturned” so to speak. Often times I will go back to an image days or weeks later and find something I will want to change. But in the end, it's up to the client, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment