Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Instruction illustration: Concept

My concept for this step-by-step illustration is for a humorous origami instructional that gets more and more complicated. The photographs below are some reference photographs I have for the six steps. I'm still working on the captions (I have a couple ideas below).

 







How to fold a simple origami crane
1. Fold your paper in half from corner to corner.
2. Fold it in half again from corner to corner.
3. Next, open the flap and turn the sides in to make a boat shape. Turn over and repeat.
4. Then open the inside flaps to the outside corners while flattening the edges backwards. Take time to bandage any paper cuts.
5. Finally, separate the two sides to access the internal pocket along the inside edge. Pull the corners to the nearest edge--this is easier if a friend holds the flap at the opposite edge. [Third hand reaching in]
6. Done: a simple origami crane! [Hands have band-aids and paper is ruffled and torn]


How to fold a simple origami crane
1. Fold your paper in half from corner to corner.
2. Fold it in half again from corner to corner.
3. Next, open the flap and flatten it while bringing the corner to the opposite corner. Turn over and repeat.
4. Then open the inside flaps to the outside corners while flattening the edges backwards. Caution: this step may cause paper cuts.

5. Finally, separate the two sides to access the internal pocket along the inside edge... and then pull the corners to the nearest edge...or is it the opposite edge... beneath the flap?
6. Argh! Crumple your paper into a ball and go to BadOrigami.com for better directions. [The last panel would be a crumpled paper].


Right now I like the first one best. What's funny is that my first finger on the left hand actually is hurt (it's sticking out awkwardly on the fifth panel) because my cat bit me that morning. I was picking her up right as my partner turned on the vacuum cleaner next to her. She flailed and then turned and bite me--I could hear her teeth breaking through my skin in three places with a popping sound. It was gross... but luckily not infected.

No comments:

Post a Comment