Saturday, September 10, 2011

Exercise: Michael Schwab poster


This exercise was to replicate a poster by Michael Schwab, whose art you definitely know. The piece I remember the most by him is one of Alcatraz--I remember going to San Fransisco when I was nine and seeing that art (on a pin or something) and really liking it.

He's also done logos for NPR, Amtrak, and David Sedaris!



Anyway, this is the original poster and my replication (the original is way better, of course, I only spent an hour on the copy.

         

In this exercise we were given a reference photograph that Schwab took of a model before making his poster. Then we adjusted the levels in Photoshop to emphasize the lights and shadows and then used a brush to make a virtually all black and white silhouetted. This was to make is really easy to use live trace in Illustrator to covert the image to a vector.

Then I fiddled with the vector and made the image look (somewhat) like the original poster. I didn't really want to spend too much time on it--editing images as a vector is hard. If I were doing a project like this again I'd probably do it differently, sketch more of it out in Photoshop before tracing it in Illustrator.


         

No comments:

Post a Comment