Thursday, September 8, 2011

Illustration styles: Paul Hoppe


The illustration I found today that I liked was from the Society of Illustrators 51st Annual (2009), by Paul Hoppe. Whenever I travel, I am really drawn to the intricate textures I find in architecture and cityscapes, and this picture reminded me of it. This image also has a similar style to the piece I found last week by Josh Cochran--subtle shading, with an emphasis on line, and an overall calm tone.

Here is another illustration by Paul of the same cityscape style, that I like a lot. Little bit of playful humor in it, too.


While looking on his website, I also came across two illustrations that were featured on the cover of The Stranger! The Stranger is a free weekly newspaper made and printed in Seattle--well known for it's tongue-in-cheek humor and willingness to push the envelope on sometimes uncomfortable topics like race, gender, drugs, etc. (I felt like mostly The Stranger wanted to tell it's readers to just "get over yourself.") Anyway, I came to love The Stranger and especially it's very interesting covers, which I would cut out and line my walls with in college as a cheap way to make my apartments look interesting. So, it's always exciting to find illustrators that have been featured on The Stranger.

Here is one illustration by Paul that I had on my wall at some point:


1 comment:

  1. The first image makes me want to return to Europe! I love the architecture there.

    ReplyDelete