Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First sketches

These are two sketches I made this week, focusing on cat heads. I observed two different types of head shapes, one with an elongated face with a jaw that sticks out and the other more round and compact, in some cats I saw in real life. The sketches themselves are from photographs I took myself at different points in time. (I termed the different face types "french cat" and "british cat" for no apparent reason--perhaps the cats faces remind me of English and French styles or fashions. "Turkish cat" is from a photo of my friend's cat in Turkey).

Since I was concentrating on shape, I started to notice a "hidden geometry" in the faces of the cats, particularly circles in the checks. So, then I tried a sketch that explored the shapes I could find in the cat's face--that's the second sketch.




No comments:

Post a Comment