Monday, August 29, 2011

Silhouette illustration: Brief

Client: Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (Champaign, IL)

Project: Silhouette Illustration

Specifications: Create an illustrated event poster for a festival. The client can be a producer of any kind of festival (music, art, theater, dance, film, food, etc.). The art must be 100% vector and be created in the style of silhouetted illustrations.

Reproduction: The art will be printed in black and one PMS color at a size of 11x17 inches.

Justification: I love plays--my parents took me to several as a kid and I also worked in the scene shop all through college. I looked at the Krannert website for an upcoming play that I was familiar with, but there were none, so I decided instead to do a flyer for a play I had already seen. I picked Misalliance, by George Bernard Shaw, which I saw last year.

Although it was written around 100 years ago (1910), the comical play has some very advanced ideas concerning marriage and women's independence. The important characters of the play are a young, restless woman who's engaged and an independent Polish acrobat who arrives unexpectedly in a plane crash. I decided my concepts will probably center around the plane and juxtaposition of these two women.

No comments:

Post a Comment