Monday, November 21, 2011

Inspiration for a biography book cover

These are some inspirations for the biography book cover. I had difficulty finding actual biography covers that had illustrations (most are just photographs), so I looked up some other book covers and portraiture. I like how in each of these cases, the background or other elements of the image indicates something about the character's personality.

Houdini illustration, by Pat Kinsella


William Shatner illustration, by Karen Klassen


Novel book cover illustration, by John Vogl


For the biography cover I will be doing for my friend, Jaime Hough, I was inspired by the style of books by Amy Sedaris. They feature photographs with handwritten text, but I think Sedaris' style is similar to that of my friend. So, although mine will have an illustration, I'm going to go for a full-body, colorful, playful, and feminine cover for Jaime.


No comments:

Post a Comment