Thursday, February 16, 2012

Evynd Earle inspiration

Evynd Earle is an artist from California who passed away in 2000. I was first introduced to his work in my home--my parents used to live (before I was born) in California near where Evynd worked. They were both struck by his paintings, and as a result while I was growing up I was familiar with a handful of serigraphs (think silkscreens with 50+ colors) of his work hanging throughout my parent's house.

Evynd's first big commercial job was as the background artist for the Disney film Sleeping Beauty, and he worked there for ten years. He is well known for his very unique style of landscapes--there is really none other like him, in my opinion.

His style shows incredible rhythm with the lively shapes and personalities of trees and often bright colors contrasted on a black background. His paintings also show depth with textures in stipling and again through color. Here are some examples of his serigraphs below (click for larger image). All of these images are from his website.








No comments:

Post a Comment