Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Owen Davey and Charlie Harper inspiration

This week's inspiration comes from Owen Davey, who was featured in the October 2011 Computer Arts magazine. One that particularly caught my attention is below, an album cover for The Leisure Society, an indie band. This type of intricate illustration is fascinating to me--the different fish and animals make up different shapes and makes one want to keep looking at it to discover new things. Kind of like a Where's Waldo image, except those have too much unity and are bland at a glance.




Then I read that Owen himself was inspired by Charley Harper, who is an amazing and well-known illustrator. Charley is famous for doing biological, environmental, ecological, conversational illustrations. In fact, I was first introduced to him by my undergrad ecology professor and advisor, who had posters by Charley in his office, one for every biome.

Charley is well known for his minimalist style, in which animals are made up of simple shapes and lines. I highly recommend checking out his website (linked above). Here is an example of his work below.



1 comment: